… Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 1 PM EST
* locations… along a line from Cedartown to the northern half
of the Atlanta Metro to Jefferson.
* Hazard types… a wintry mix of snow… sleet and freezing rain.
* Accumulations… 3 to 5 inches of snow along in addition to a
quarter inch or more of ice.
* Timing… snow… sleet and freezing rain will develop tonight
and become more pronounced through Wednesday and Wednesday
* Impacts… snow… sleet and freezing rain will accumulate on
roads making for hazardous driving conditions through
Thursday. As the more significant snow and ice occurs
Wednesday and Wednesday night… travel will be nearly
impossible. Widespread and extended power outages are likely
as ice accumulates on trees and powerlines and brings them
down. Please prepare to be without power in some locations for
days and perhaps as long as a week. Once the ice begins to
melt on Thursday and Friday… falling ice from bridges and
overpasses will create an additional hazard.
* Winds… northeast 10 to 15 mph with gusts up to 25 mph. These
wind speeds in conjunction with the ice will exacerbate the
potential for falling trees.
* Temperatures… in the upper 20s to lower 30s.
A Winter Storm Warning for snow and ice means severe winter
weather conditions are expected or occurring. Significant amounts
snow and ice are forecast that will make travel dangerous. Only
travel in an emergency. If you must travel… keep an extra
flashlight… food… and water in your vehicle in case of an
emergency. With the forecast snow and ice amounts… widespread
power outages are possible.